I guess I should just come out, so to speak, and say this. I'm sure I'm just confirming what many of you had already suspected. But.
I'm a bibliosexual.
I've always known there was something different about me, I just didn't know what it meant. It's only recently that I've realised these feelings just won't go away. They're part of what makes me who I am.
I'm sure you must have questions — I'll try to answer a few.
- No, I'm not a practising bibliosexual. Even with the right protection, I feel the risk of dog-earing the pages is too high.
- No, I'm not seeing a book at the moment. I'm still pining for Paladin of Souls, which broke off the engagement (you'd've thought the whole Getting Engaged To A Book thing might have given me a clue as to my true leanings earlier, but at the time I dismissed it as just a phase) when I confessed to the string of Stasheff novels I'd been taking to my bed. I should've been more clear about being unable to only read one book at a time but you know books. You can read 'em like, well a book, but talking _to_ them isn't always the most useful.
- Yes, I have tried…not being a bibliosexual. I continue to be intimate with humans but there just something special about being intimate with a book. I tried dating the world, who found me excessively clingy and dumped me for moving too fast, which is pretty rich coming from a big ball of rock that orbits the sun at roughly 30 km/s.
In the end, it was obvious that I just love books.
- Yes, I could just hide behind the label of "bibliophile", but I don't think it quite does justice to the strength and range of my feelings for books. And "bibliomaniac" again seems too limiting a term for my love.
- Yes, this does include comic books. No, it doesn't include e-books, or at least I've never yet met an e-book that inspired such feelings in me.
I hope I've sorted that out for you. Now, I know some of you will be a little shocked and may have some negative preconceptions about bibliosexuals in general, but I promise you that I will continue to treat all books — loaned or otherwise — with nothing but respect.
Note that being the slut that I am, I continue to be sapiosexual but I couldn't hold my rampant bibliosexuality any longer.